Scral is a bi-annual “arts” journal sometimes informed by the following tenets:
- Art is a play with distance and focus; art never arrives and is never in focus.
- Art and artists do not exist.
- Art and artists do exist.
- To take advantage of topicality is iniquity.
- Art is the friction between items 2 and 3.
- To make art you must be a butterfly catcher as well as a caterpillar.
- Confidence is always meretricious but like fangs is useful.
- If humans make art, so do all lifeforms, whether tulips or trout or whatever.
- “I am nature” is a really good artist’s statement.
- If item 2 is true, then artists never die.
- Art is not limited to “Art”.
- Artists are not the only “Artists”.
- Cynicism seems like a bad mode but so do earthquakes. Still optimism seems wise.
- No method or mode can be applied successfully to everything.
- A true “art” is unintelligible to everyone but the artist. Sorry.
- Anyone who gives more than he has is a thief.
- Your mind doesn’t tell you the truth.